1.22.2012

all ed ruscha's artist books together for the first time???

Ed Ruscha
"Twentysix Gasoline Stations"
1962

Ok, 
you probably
know by now I have had a major
"Man-Crush" 
on
Ed Ruscha 
for years.
Remember this 
Anyway,
 I started thinking of his artists books tonight,
and wondered if there was definitive list of
all the books he had designed.
So the Googling and "stealing" began....
This is the best I could come up with.
Please let me know if I missed something.
There are some grey areas.
I included only books that
Ed designed himself 
(or occasionally with someone else).
Portfolios,
such as "Stains"
that many people include as one of his
"books",
I have not, because it seems more of a portfolio
than a book.
Same goes for 
"Country Cityscapes".
Ditto for exhibition catalogs,
UNLESS,
he designed them.
This gets tricky too.
I am SURE I missed things, 
so please let me know and I will
add them (or subtract them) if I feel they fit the criteria.
Thanks!

Ed Ruscha
"Various Small Fires"
1964

Ed Ruscha
"Some Los Angeles Apartments"
1965

Ed Ruscha
"Every Building on the Sunset Strip"
1966
(I have a first edition copy of this 
a dear friend gave to me years ago. Thanks Jim!)

Ed Ruscha
"Thirtyfour Parking Lots"
1967

Ed Ruscha
"Billy"
(Catalog for an exhibition of works by Billy Al Bengston)
1968

Ed Ruscha
"Royal Road Test"
(With Mason Williams and Patrick Blackwell)
1967

Ed Ruscha
"Business Cards"
1968

Ed Ruscha
"Nine Swimming Pools and a Broken Glass"
1968

Ed Ruscha
"Crackers"
1969

Ed Ruscha
"Real Estate Opportunities"
1970

Ed Ruscha
"Babycakes with Weights"
1970

Ed Ruscha
"A Few Palm Trees"
1971

 
Ed Ruscha
"Records"
1971

Ed Ruscha
"Dutch Details"
1971


Ed Ruscha
"Colored People"
1972

Ed Ruscha
"Edward Ruscha (Ed-werd Rew-shay) Young Artist"
(Catalog for an exhibition at the 
Minneapolis Institute of Arts)
(With Gus Foster)
1972

Ed Ruscha
"Catalog for Documenta 5"
(Those are ants spelling out the 5.)
1972

Ed Ruscha
"Hard Light"
(With Lawrence Weiner)
1978

Ed Ruscha
"ME and THE"
2002

Ed Ruscha
"OH / NO"
2008

Ed Ruscha
"On the Road"
2011
(Not sure how I missed this $10,000.00 book.
Thanks Jian Wei Lim!)

Ed Ruscha
"Dirty Baby"
(With Nels Cline and David Breskin)
2011

7 comments:

  1. Ed Ruscha On the Road artist book from a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my copy has been sold:http://ephemeral-male.blogspot.com/2010/03/all-my-ed-ruscha-items-have-been-given.html
    Cheers from down under
    mal E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice. I got a first edition of 26 Gasoline Stations for sale if anyone is interested...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of two things. First that I foolishly gave away my copy of "Hard Light" as a house warming gift back in 1989 or so. I was pretty young then and didn't know any better. The other thing it reminds me of is the copy of "Twenty Six Gasoline Stations" that I found for around $5.00 in the cookbook section of a no longer existing used bookstore in Long Beach, CA. That would have been around 1997 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your post, see for ... Ed Ruscha Dutch Details Sonsbeek '71 Artist Book Graphic Arts Photography http://bintphotobooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/ed-ruscha-dutch-details-sonsbeek-71.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tink Then & Now is missing: http://www.amazon.com/THEN-NOW-ED-RUSCHA/dp/3865211054/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed Ruscha: Make New History, Special Limited Edition (Hardcover Book Art Object for the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles) [SIGNED] [Hardcover]
    Ed Ruscha (Author)
    Book Description
    Publication Date: 2009
    SIGNED First edition, first and only printing. Signed in black ink on the colophon page (rear pasted-down endpaper) by Ruscha. Hardcover. Gray cloth-covered boards with the artist's facsimile signature debossed on the spine; no dust jacket as issued; nested in a custom printed cardboard box with fuschia interior. This Art Object was designed by Ed Ruscha on the occasion and in celebration of and the 30th Anniversary of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles. The book, whose text block edges are printed with the words "MAKE NEW HISTORY," consists of approximately 600 plain white sheets, signifying the owner's ability to create new history. The book measures 5-1/8 x 7-3/8 x 2-1/2 inches; the box measures 11-1/8 x 8-1/8 x 3 inches. This object was distributed only to attendees of MOCA's 30th Anniversary Gala, and was not sold to the public

    ReplyDelete