7.24.2010

e. a. mckillop "a born carving man"


Every time I hit
the antique trail down here
I dream of finding
a
McKillop.

(That's Edgar on the left.)

I don't think it will ever happen,
but if it does,
I know one thing,
I will
NEVER 
sell it!

"Man with Snake"

"Hippocerous"

This is record player,
well,
 a Victrola player!
(It's now in the collection
of the
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum.)

"Defender of Liberty"

Edgar started carving 
spontaneously
after being told he could have 
4 black walnut trees
if he cut them down 
and 
hauled them away.
That started a 10 year 
creative burst
that you see 
here.

"Clock with Animal Pediment"

"Fiddler"

"Squirrel Holding Nut"

Balfour, NC is about a 30 minute drive from 
where I am now.

"Standing Bear"

"Kangaroo"

"Gorilla"

"Mountain Lion"

"Donkey"
I mean 
"Owl"

"Bird with Spread Wings"

"Man's Head"
(Attributed to Edgar, and probably 
part of a larger work.)

"Eagle"
(Attributed to Edgar)

Edgar A. McKillop
1879-1950

Thanks to 
"May We All Remember Well
A Journal of the History & Culture of Western North Carolina"
Volume 1

Robert S. Brunk
Editor

1 comment:

  1. GREAT shots! A lot of these I've never seen before and I've never seen a shot of the man himself. I have those dreams of finding one too. Who knows....there may still be some out there!

    ReplyDelete