11.19.2010

when in doubt, judd

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 145)"
1968

There is a newish book out on the
Talented Mr. Judd
by
David Raskin
titled
(Nice keeping it simple David.)
I just got it today, so I haven't read it yet
(I know, I know, I'm lazy....)
but the pictures are pretty to look at, and I am
looking forward to digging into
what the publisher says
is
"...the first scholarly monograph devoted to Donald Judd..."
About time!


Donald Judd
"Untitled "
1991
A friend has one from this series.
I hate him.

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 229)"
1962
This one was new to me.

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 38)"
1963
Cool.

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 58)"
1964
Love the use of the turnbuckles...

Donald Judd
"Untitled"
1989
This is a scale model of our new house.
Like it?

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 143)"
1968
This is made out of brass,
but is MUCH more valuable than its
weight in gold.
Artist as alchemist....

Donald Judd
"Untitled (86-25)"
1986
Do you think there is a Judd out
in the wild that someone uses as a bookcase?
I kind of
love/hate that idea....

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 40)"
1963
Love

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 25)"
1963
Excellent

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 43)"
1963
Destroyed
(I think greg.org has it....)

Donald Judd
"Untitled (DSS 44)"
1963
I've never seen this one before.

Donald Judd
"American Flag in Negative Colors of the Spectrum"
1968
I think Obama should be rocking 
this over the
White House.
Rainer will you let
Mr. President borrow it?

Highly reccomended viewing

4 comments:

  1. familiar with this flag by david hammons?

    http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A2486&page_number=6&template_id=1&sort_order=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't. Very Interesting.... Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More here: http://aureliomadrid.wordpress.com/?s=hammons+flag

    "Flags (as art) have been utilized & reexamined by Jasper Johns, David Hammons & even Donald Judd. Aligero e Boetti used world flags on his embroidered maps of the world. Any number of minimalists made works that looked like flags, as with Blinky Palermo or a more heraldic-minimalism of Daniel Buren. More recently Polly Apfelbaum’s playfully perfect logo-like flags are a fun offshoot of the theme."

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK The only thing better than your posts is the tone of your posts

    ReplyDelete