11.16.2010

dirty stoned hippie architects from space....

Ok.
I have to come clean.
(pun intended)
I am not a fan of dirty,
as in filthy,
meaning actually dirty,
covered with dirt, not 
"dirty" 
which is fine, 
if you are still with me at this point,
you know what I mean.
I think.
So while I was taking the pictures for this post I was amazed
at the creations
these dirty hippies made,
but couldn't help thinking,
would it be so hard to take a bath?
I'm into the long hair, beards and all,
but dude needs a shower....

McLuhan Geisha House
Cerebrum Club
NYC
1968

So,
there won't be many pictures of the dirty hippy creators.
Just ones of their clean hippy friends and patrons 
and
of course, ones
of their wonderful creations....

Stan VanDerBeek
in front of the "Movie-Drome"
Stony Point, NY
1964
Stan looks pretty clean, but dude,
clean up the front yard yo!

Neke Carson
"Man-Moon Fountain"
1968

Nudity is a trait I admire in a hippie,
especially a clean nude hippy.
You really can't go wrong with that....

Ugo La Pietra
"Plastic Environment for Experiencing 
Optical Phenomenon"
1969

ALEPH
"Stroboscopic Crystal Waterfall Environment"
1969
She looks comfortable....

Kasuba
"Stretched Fabric Environment
for Teresa Sevilla"
1970

Kasuba
"Walk in Environment"
1971

Kasuba / Silvia Heyden
"Sleeping Bower,
"Walk in Environment"
1971

Ant Farm
Inflatable 50' x 50' Pillow
Freestone, California
1969

Paolo Soleri
"Visionary Cities"
1970
He looks pretty clean.

Paolo Soleri
Ceramic Studio
Cosanti Foundation
Scottsdale, Arizona
1961

Haus-Rucker Co.
"Yellow Heart"
1968

Haus-Rucker Co.
"Yellow Heart"
1968
Proto George Condo Masks no?

This place looks amazing,
but probably smelled terrible.....

Bucky Fuller would be so proud.
He would.
Seriously.

The early stages of 
Drop City.

Multi-colored geodesic domes?
Good
Vintage denim?
Good
Stoned Hippies on roof with baby and that ladder?
Bad


 DUO-Dodecahedron
Drop City
1966
I might have to build this in North Carolina....

They might have been dirty,
but those hippies could WORK!

And PLAY!

Bathtub Dome
Drop City
1969
(How appropriate....)

Changed my mind,
this is the one I will build....

24" x 24"
Not bad,
bigger than a typical NYC one bedroom.

Paolo Solari
North Studios
Cosanti Foundation
Scottsdale, Arizona
1961

Aleksandra Kasuba
"Cocoon Dwelling"
Whiz-Bang City
East Woodstock, NY
1972

Mark Mills
"Limp Penis House"
(Seriously, that is the name.)
Carmel, California
1969

Charles Harker / Tao Design
"Earth House"
(under construction- dirty ok)
West Lake Hills, Texas
1970

Charles Harker / Tao Design
"Earth House"
 (completed- dirty verboten)
West Lake Hills, Texas
1970

Wadsworth House
Prickly Mountain 
Warren, Vermont
1966

Tack House / Sellers Residence
Prickly Mountain 
Warren, Vermont
1966
Party Polaroid
Prickly Mountain
Yeah, I bet things got pretty "prickly"....

More
and
and

10 comments:

  1. This post had me in hysterics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.- thanks for reminding everybody of all the good times..that s been wasted for having good times

    ReplyDelete
  3. a clean nude hippy sounds divine
    love this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. where can I find this book? All this pictures come from this book? Please let me know, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E. Yance, there is a link to the book at the bottom of the post.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post is absolutely one of my fav ever! maybe becouse spaced out is one of my fav book or maybe becouse i love hippies architects, specially Paolo soleri ! thank you for you selection

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just because you have learned how to scan images out of a book
    doesn't mean you have the right to post them - esp. so many - without author's permission.
    This book took me ten years to write and collect the photos for which I paid a lot
    of money. You have used over 30 images! Way beyond any sort of "fair use". If you had used a few and posted proper credit, I wouldn't have said a thing, but you are way out of line and will get a lawyer's letter very soon if you don't take this post down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Gordon- I linked to your book in 3 different places: the book's website, your blog, and Amazon where they could buy the book. It's funny you are just seeing this now, as I posted it almost exactly 4 years ago. I greatly respect your work and was looking to promote it, not use or abuse it. If you look at my blog you will see that I am a "teacher and sharer", and am not using it to get any financial gain at all. I have gotten close to 24 million hits on my blog and haven't made one penny from it. If you will dig a little deeper you will realize that I trying to help, working to get the word of you book (and many, many others) out to people in the world beyond NYC and London.... Respectfully Yours, -Patrick Parrish

      Delete
    2. Dude, that's not very much in the vein of what hippies are all about. You are totally harshing the buzz of this blog post. You should chill, take a bong hit and enjoy the flowers a bit more. This guy Patrick, he's cool and what he's doing is helping you and the universe. Feel the vibe of what he's laying down here, man. It's all love, get into the groove and be happy.

      Delete